||David Thomas of Austin, Texas has been training, competing, and
coaching since January 1985. He is founder and Head Coach of Austin Jiu-Jitsu (Self-Defense Mentor, LLC),
offering self-defense instruction, consulting, and training.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt (under Carlos Gracie Jr. Black Belt
Travis Tooke). Coaching since 2003, training since 1995.
- 2008 North American Grappling (NAGA) Champion, Brown and Black belt Division (160 lb and under, Director, Gi)
- 2 Black belts in Japanese Karate (AAKF, JKA Shotokan). 8 years of training.
- State, national, and international-level competition experience
- Author of the most comprehensive single-source online technique catalog for ground-fighting sports:
BJJTech.com: The Austin Jiu-Jitsu Technique Catalog
- Certified USA
Wrestling Coach for competitive youth wrestling programs. 3 seasons.
- Ground fighting trainer for law enforcement, EMT, and military personnel
- Experienced referee in local and state-level BJJ and Submission Grappling competitions
- MMA instructor since 2008
- Diverse martial arts training background including MMA, Thai Boxing, Jeet Kune Do, Karate, Aikido, and Judo
- Licensed by the Texas Department of Public Safety Private Security Bureau (2005)
- Licensed by the Texas Combative Sports/Boxing Commission as an MMA Cornerman (2009)