Our coaches provide instruction, guidance, coaching, and counseling. We lead
example, sweating with you and proving it can be done. We will push you, make you sweat, demand
improvement, and applaud progress. We will give you the honest and expert advice
and feedback that suits your particular needs.
What qualifies a coach at Austin Jiu-Jitsu? Our coaches are required to have:
- Lengthy, accomplished, documented and diverse experience in self-defense training. Lengthy means more than just years of training. It means
decades of documented training. Accomplished means more than attainment of rank, it means
mastery. Diverse means much more than a deep understanding of a single
facet of the multifaceted world of martial arts, it means experience in
several diverse self defense systems and sports culminating in a more complete understanding of the
spectrum of possibilities.
- Proven results in state, national and international-level competition.
- Experience in instructing in multiple systems of self defense or wrestling
with adults and children.
- Coaching experience for martial arts or wrestling competitors.
- A continuing interest in growing their own martial arts training and
- A genuine interest in sharing their knowledge and aptitude for conveying
complex and technical self-defense techniques to people of all ages and skill
levels. This includes a nurturing patience for those students who need it mixed with a demand for
growth and top performance.
- An lifestyle that leads by example with a passion for excellence.
About David Thomas
Read a bio about David Thomas, founder and Head
Austin Jiu Jitsu.
Read praise about David Thomas from
students, parents, and coaches.
Read articles written by David Thomas: Analysis of
Essential Training Concepts
Read David's blog Jits Happens: A Grappler's Blog